Monday, October 10, 2011

Freely Giving

Seeing that my kids enjoyed participating in Occupy Portland last Thursday was extremely satisfying. Bailey was immediately inspired to organize a sympathy sit-down protest at his high school, and both Bay and May wanted to come back and spend the night at the park with the occupiers. I wanted to let them even though they are under-aged. There is curfew in Oregon; kids under 18 are not supposed to be roaming the streets after midnight. Well, the decision was made for me when there was a conflict with the Portland Marathon downtown. Apparently, the marathon people had reserved the two parks where the occupiers set up tents months and months ago. Eventually the two sides worked out a peaceful agreement, and the occupiers helped clean up after the marathon. Generosity.

I went to pickup our share of vegetables from “our” farm, Dancing Roots Farm, today. Shari and Brian, the owners, said they had gone down to Occupy Portland last Thursday evening just like we did and listened to the speeches and hung around the crowd. In addition, they brought a donation of fresh food to the occupiers, and they are going again on Wednesday with another donation. It makes me happy to buy my vegetables from such altruistic and involved people. Generosity.

The other night my husband offered to give me a massage, a full body massage. He told me I deserved it and that my shoulders are always too tense. His hands are strong and he gives great massages. What’s not to like? Anytime, babe! Human touch drains away fears and worries. My husband’s touch always does. Problems dissolve in warm oil under dimmed lights. My mind goes blank as my skin comes alive. Thirty minutes rolled by fast like the surge of a single wave. I was glowing and grateful. He gave of himself and his time. Generosity.

No comments: